Monday, November 21, 2011

Thelonious Monk's "Straight No Chaser", new and improved set up

Hi everybody,

I just recorded Thelonious Monk's straight no chaser, let me know what you think!  Feel free to comment, e-mail, whatever makes you happy.

 Straight No Chaser (Thelonious Monk) by Malcolm81

For those of you unfamiliar with this song, or Thelonious Monk (he's da man), here's a youtube video:



This particular song, "Striaght No Chaser", comes after the introduction by the MC type guy.  The intro is something different, I think it's the last part of "Epistrophy", and that's what the guy who posted it on youtube says it is so that's what we're going with.

Also, this little recording session was super painless, the new interface I wrote about yesterday(and still no new cables, and I didn't mess with any of that software yet, so nothing new to review on that front) lets me just play linux sampler through my keyboard amp, so I can hear what's really going to be on the final tape, and the latency is totally acceptable--I completely acclimated to it pretty quickly, though I remember it was noticeable.  I also tried Qtractor instead of Rosegarden, and it was super easy to do everything, even never having used the program to record anything before.  I ran a couple takes, and then exported to an .ogg file which was ready to upload.

It doesn't have Rosegarden's musical notation editor, if I was doing something with a lot of composed parts I would definitely consider using RG again, but for recording MIDI and audio tracks, and maybe a little mixing and that sort of stuff, then Qtractor seems the easiest.  Still haven't tried Ardour 3 though, that might end up being the whole package.

Anyhow, glad I have a blog to make me record stuff, otherwise I would probably just spend all my music time playing the piano.  Well, actually that might be good.  Hmmmm.

Ok, take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment