Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Well You Needn't

Dear reader,

If demographics and stat tracking from this blog are any indication, then you do not exist.  So I urge you to enjoy your nonexistence with my solo piano rendition of "Well You Needn't", a jazz standard by Thelonious Monk (the great one) and Mike Perro (the never heard of him but he's listed as having cowritten it in my real book one).  

Here goes:

And if that doesn't work, click this.

I just learned this tune recently, it's kind of how I stumbled onto the chord voicing that is basically my bread and butter at this point, I play the root, the third, and the seventh in the left hand as a root note chord.  The idea was to maintain the rhythmic potential and the movement of the chromatic chord progression, without suffering from having the fifth in there making the whole thing sound like a polyphonic melody all going at the same intervals.  The upside of this voicing is huge however--not having the fifth, you can use the same voicing for a slew of chromatically altered seventh chords, since the root, third, and dominant seventh remain the same in all dominant seventh chords.  I know that sounds like semantics, since the definition of a dominant seventh is  the root, major third, and flat seventh, but actually in practice it seems more likely to shift other chords into dominants than  dominants into other chords, and the point is that the left hand voicing is really useful .

Anyhow, enjoy your nonexistence, 
Malcolm  

No comments:

Post a Comment