Friday, September 30, 2011

Round Midnight

Well I've been working on it for a while,  and here is my version of 'Round Midnight:

 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk/Cootie Williams/Bernie Hanaghan) by Malcolm81

or the link: http://soundcloud.com/malcolm81/round-midnight-thelonious-monk

I'm using sparse left hand voicings in this one, I found for the most part the harmony could be adequately suggested using two notes, one staying the same and one moving.  But only the Eb- gets the root note (along with the minor third), in the entire song I believe, everything else is an oddball combination.

But I couldn't help but get a deeper appreciation of Thelonious from this, there is an unmistakable otherworldly quality to it, and you can obtain it by very simple means.

Anyhow, it isn't perfect, might try to improve it,
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment