Friday, September 23, 2011

Play Misty for You

Ok, I am not too happy with this rendition but I don't feel like playing this song anymore right now, so I'm just going to post it and be done with it.  I learned a lot getting this song to this point, and of course I could learn more with it but there are a lot of other songs in the world worth learning.

Without further ado, then--
 Misty (Erroll Garner) by Malcolm81

or feel free to visit it on my SoundCloud page by clicking here.

It is a little tough getting the rhythms to ring the way I want them using the pedal, since of course the pedal causes the melody to ring as well, and so sometimes the melody ends up ringing, and sometimes the harmony is not entirely smooth in its transition.  This was the main challenge I faced in learning this piece to this point.

The solo sounds pleasant enough for the most part, but I must have buggered something up, as in an extra repeat or two or letting the tempo really drop off because it is much longer than it was intended to be, I meant to just go through the form once for the solo (song once as a head, once as a solo, once at the end).

In reality I think it's probably better to not go through the whole form, it just makes it crazy long.  I think I will just run through the A-1, then solo over the A-1, then run the A-2, then the bridge, then the A-2.  Any input on this?  Or anything?  Or am I talking to myself?

Speaking of talking to myself, I have decided not to play this on request, ever.  Because that dialogue would go something like:

Requester: Could you play Misty for me?
Me: No, I can't.  Or rather I could, but then you'd have to kill me, and I don't want to die.

Though actually I've never seen "Play Misty for Me,"  but I have the impression it is a fatal attraction style thriller.

Anyhow, that's a blogpost if I've ever seen one.  Till next time,
Malcolm

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you phrase the first line of the song. You have nice dynamics Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Positive feedback is good to hear :).

    ReplyDelete