Monday, October 3, 2011

Rootless Left Hand voicings, F Rhythm Changes

Ok everyone,

This is a blog.  I post what I'm doing, whether or not what I'm doing is actually any good.  That's me keeping it real.  And now I'm working on using left hand rootless voicings.

These are described around the web a little bit, e.g.:
http://earlmacdonald.com/jazz-piano-lessons/rootless-left-hand-piano-voicings.html
http://www.thejazzresource.com/4_note_voicings.html

The are also talked about in the book I reviewed yesterday, which is where I first learned of them.  I am finding that they are easier than root position chords in a way, because you have two positions to play from, meaning no leaps between V7 and I, for instance, since you can just flop the third and the seventh.

Also, I have small hands, which makes the Bud Powell type voicings which use the 10th impossible, and using the third is fine in a way, except that the big benefit from those voicings--that you can play them low without them getting muddy, get lost because my hands are too small.  I can reach an octave without much trouble though, so don't cry for me Argentina.

Anyhow, this is me messing around with them:
 F Rhythm Changes by Malcolm81

As always, take it easy,
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment