Thursday, October 6, 2011

Giant Steps

Ok, this is really rough.  And it's not using the rootless voicings I was working on.  But, there's nothing wrong with shell voicings, especially when playing solo piano, and in fact I feel they are probably more versatile, so I want to be able to play it using these, and I was actually farther along with these voicings so I decided to give it a go.

In reality, the difficulty from the chords is not really the problem, the problem is the constantly shifting scales.  And since the scales are a major third apart (a Giant Step), there is going to be left hand leaps between chords no matter what, in a relatively irregular pattern at that.

So, anyhow, this is rough, filled with mistakes, and I lost my train of thought once or twice, but it's definitely a version of Coltrane's classic, "Giant Steps".


In other news, I've been practicing with the trumpet and that has been coming along pretty good.  I think I can afford one lesson but I want to be able to do a little more before I get it.

 Giant Steps (John Coltrane) -- Rough by Malcolm81

No comments:

Post a Comment